Most of us spend the majority of our waking hours doing work. Whether you are employed or are an entrepreneur and are self-employed, we are all working a lot. Since that is true for most of us, I wonder- are you fulfilled? Are you doing something you love and experience satisfaction and fulfillment from doing that? Or are you working for a paycheck and going through your day somewhat robotically or automatically, maybe even counting the hours until you are off work?
“We have killed our souls with comfort instead of seeking fulfillment and achievement,” said ultramarathoner Dean Karnazes. Think about that and where you have sold out your fulfillment and happiness for comfort.
I recently went through a situation that had me examine what I am doing with my time and my life. My checkpoint was this question of, “Am I fulfilled and happy in what I am doing?” I find that when someone close to you gets ill or you personally are dealing with something that has you stop and examine your life, you might change course.
Personally, I have had a number of those checkpoints in my life and have completely changed careers once and pivoted a couple of times. I am happy now. I love what I do for a living and what I am using my life for: to make a difference for others and to end the gender gap both in pay and in influence.
What about you? Are you doing what you love? If not, why are you doing it? What would you love to do? What would you need to do in order to spend your time doing what you love?
I am going to give you a series of questions and suggestions to inquire into for yourself. I invite you to be fully candid with yourself.
- Are you happy and fulfilled?
- If yes, what about what you are doing is bringing you joy and satisfaction?
- Make sure you note this somewhere for the times you are likely to go through that frustrate you. You want to have a touchpoint / a true north that brings you back to why you are doing what you do.
- If no, why are you doing it?
- If no, I invite you to really examine:
- What do you love doing? What brings you joy, happiness, fulfillment?
- What job or career or business could you do that would fulfill you?
- What do you need to do or create or get trained in so that you can create this for yourself in your future?
- What resources do you need?
- At this point you may want to talk to someone else to get support in getting what you need.
- Create a plan and get in action to execute this plan.